This post restates submission guidlines adopted by the DPCA Board September 12, 2011. The guidlines apply for submission for Challenges, Showcases and Exhibitions. Individual Exhibits may have different or additional requirements. Please refer to the exhibit information on the Club's website for details.
- You must be a paid DPCA member to submit photographs for Club events. As of this posting, we are checking membership roles. Please don't put us in the embarassing position of rejecting your work because your dues are unpaid.
- All work submitted must be your, original work. If restoring or otherwise altering a photograph that you did not take, state your permissions to use the photograph(s) clearly in your submission email. The Club officers will disqualify any submission that violates or seems to violate copyright regulations, however you as the submitter are responsible for the validity of your submission.
- Themes, file sizes, shooting periods, and submission deadlines must be followed or your photographs will be disqualified. Please don't exceed the number of photographs permitted for the showcase, challenge, exhibit, etc.
- Unless otherwise stated, the submission deadline is 7 days before the next meeting for both Challenges and Showcases. For example that means the Monday, one week before a Monday meeting. For Exhibits, submission deadlines are different for each exhibit. Refer to the Club's website http://www.digitalphotoclub.net for instructions.
- Prepare each photograph by converting it to a .JPG file that is at least 1024 pixels on the longest side. Larger images will be accepted but because of large file size, may be blocked by email servers. If you submit an image smaller than 1024 pixels on the longest side, it will not display well at the meeting. We also suggest a resolution of 72 dpi or larger. High resolution images will be resized for display on the Club's website but not for presentation at the meeting.
- Rename each photograph with your name and a sequential number something like this:
We suggest you name the files you most want to display with the lowest numbers. When we have too many photographs to display in the time allotted, we may need to limit each photographer to one or two photographs. We will give preference to you #1 and #2 images.
- Attach the files to a new email message addressed to:
email@example.com for showcases OR
firstname.lastname@example.org for challenges.
- If you do NOT want your photographs posted on the club website, include the following statement in your email submission:
DO NOT include my photographs on the DPCA website.
The request to block website display must appear in the same email with your submission files. If you don’t include this specific request with your submission we will assume that your pictures may be posted on the club website. Pictures displayed will show the creator’s name.
- Send the email. You should receive an automated return email confirming your submission was received in the Club's email box. WARNING: SOMETIMES THESE MESSAGES DON'T ARRIVE OR ARRIVE IN YOUR SPAM FOLDER. You will also receive a confirming message when your images are added to the meeting presentation. The second message is sent by a human and will arrive sometime in the week preceeding the meeting.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I'm on vacation. My bird died. I'm moving. The dog ate my camera, etc... May I have an extension on the file submission deadline?
A: Sorry... No. Save your photographs and submit them when you can make the deadline. This is the only way we can promise that all photographs, legally submitted can be processed in time for the meeting. Photographs received after the submission period will be used for the next Showcase unless you tell us otherwise.
Q: I have this fabulous photograph I took 1, 2, or 32 days before the challenge period began or after it ended. Can’t I submit that photograph?
A: No, the idea of the "challenge" is that we are under pressure to produce entries in a limited time window. Submissions that don't meet the time requirements will be disqualified. You may submit them for a future Showcase. Showcases are not time limited.
File Format and Size
Q: Why can't I just send files the way they come out of my camera?
A: You can; give it a try if they are .JPG files. We can't accept RAW files. We don't have conversion files for all cameras. Besides, this is part of the fun of digital photography. We will happily help you learn to manage and resize your files. Most cameras come with at least rudimentary conversion software. Go find that disk! (You can usually download a replacement copy from your camera manufacturer's website.)
I Need Help
Q: File Sizes, resolution, RAW, .JPG, attachments -- Yikes, where can I get help!
A: That's why you joined the Club, right?
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . Tell us:
- Do you use a PC or MAC computer?
- What camera did you use to take the photograph(s)?
- What software did you used to process photographs?
- Did you shoot in RAW or .JPG or something else?
Q: Whoa, What's with all the rules? -- They Seem strict.
A: Well yes, they are. We put them in place to insure that every photograph will be received, acknowledged and processed in time for presentation. Your Board will apply the rules equally to each member and to each board member.
Let's give it a try. We think it will work to everyone's advantage.